Spiti literally means "The Middle Land". This divine desert mountain valley is the land that lies between Tibet, Kinnaur, Lahaul, Ladakh and Kullu. Spiti is a lot like Leh in terms of terrain - the kind of mountains, lakes and landscapes you see, but it is far less visited and way more secluded. And as we always like to say, Spiti is how Ladakh used to be once…
Kinnaur and Spiti are not destinations… it is a JOURNEY.
What's there in the trip?
Butt breaking road journey, peculiar geo-climatic cold desert regions, mighty passes, splendor of snow covered peaks, shooting stars, deep valleys, vast landscape, gushing rivers, highest villages in the world, oldest operational monasteries, humble people with their centuries old culture, connections to Ladakh and Tibet - Yes, this is Spiti valley!!!
As we embark on this journey to the extreme land, leave your worries behind, and be ready to take in the beauty of this valley. This journey will be engraved in your memory forever.
Duration: 6 Nights and 7 days
Cost: INR 18,000/- per person
(Covers all accommodation, all transport and transfers, permits and 2 meals each day from Manali to Manali; see inclusions below for details)
Above cost is for a minimum group size of 8. If your group size is smaller than 8, contact us for the detailed quote. Above cost is EXCLUSIVE OF AIRFARE.
COVID related flexibility:
- Block your seat by paying just Rs.5,000/- and pay the remaining balance 15 days before the event date
- We understand the current situation and have made it easy to change your travel plans up to 15 days prior to your trip's departure dates
- You can choose new dates and/or a new group departure or get a full refund up to 15 days before the trip departure date. Any cancellation after that will be treated as per our normal cancellation policy - https://www.traversindia.com/payments-and-cancellation-policy
- If you or anyone in your family (parents/siblings) have COVID+ and you cancel your trip due to that at the last minute, we will give you full refund (deducting 5% GST) once you submit the COVID+ report to us
What is included in the tour
- All Transport in Tempo Traveller from Manali to Manali
- Accommodation for 6 nights on double/ twin sharing basis. If the group size is an odd number then we may have 1 triple sharing room
- 2 meals on each day (breakfast and dinner) except Manali. Ideally, we would like to include lunch on each day as well, but we will be on the road during the day, every day. And there are many more eating options on the road which people can choose from, from expensive restaurants to cheap maggi shops. We will leave it for the group to decide what they would want to have for lunch.
- All inner line permits and environment/ wildlife fee for the group
- First Aid and Photography Guidance
Jain Food available as well with prior notice
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any expenditure due to unfavorable weather conditions over and above the above-mentioned cost will be applicable on actual
- Any COVID test charges at the airport
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
- Volvo transport charges from Delhi to Manali and back
- Airfare charges to reach or fly out of Delhi
- Any item of personal requirement, such as drinks, laundry, telephone, etc.
- Any medical or evacuation expenses
Please note: Trip starts from Manali but we can provide assistance from Delhi (at additional cost).
Day 1 - Acclimatization in Manali
Reach Manali early morning and get transferred from bus stand to the hotel. Check-in, have breakfast and feel free to explore the local area of Manali. This day is to get used to the altitude and to help you acclimatize. Also, you can do some last minute shopping to get you ready for the chilly weather of Spiti.
Day 2 - Manali to Kaza via Atal Tunnel and Kunzum La (202 kms/8hrs)
Start early morning at 05:30 AM towards Kaza. This drive is adventurous and passes through riverbeds, glaciers and a route with stunning Himalayan backdrop alongside. Reach Kaza by late afternoon. Overnight stay at Kaza.
Day 3 - Kaza - Key Monastery - Chicham bridge - Kibber - Kaza
We leave post breakfast for the most reknowned monastery of Spiti valley - Key Monastery. Kye monastery is on top of a mountain overlooking the Spiti valley and a huge river bed. It is also the main learning centre for Lamas following Geluk sect of Buddhism. After this, we move towards Kibber village, which was once the world’s highest village. A short hike from Kibber is the Chicham bridge, the highest bridge in Asia (at a staggering height of 13596 ft) which connects the two villages - Chicham and Kibber. We return to Kaza for our overnight stay.
Day 4 - Kaza - Tabo - Dhankar / Lhalung
Gently fluttering prayer flags against a backdrop of green farmland, surrounded by barren mountains and clear blue skies, mark the entrance to Tabo. Over a 1000 years old, Tabo Monastery is now a UNESCO Heritage site and one of the finest marvels of Indo-Tibetian art.
Dhankar Monastery is precariously perched on a rugged cliff, seemingly fragile from a distance. Spectacular views of the Spiti-Pin river confluence and the valley below leave meditation spots like none other here in this mud-walled hermitage.
Take a short hike to Dhankar Lake and witness the most amazing and thrilling landscape of the beautiful holy lake.
Stay overnight in Dhankar / Lhalung.
Day 5 - Dhankar / Lhalung - Hikkim - Komic - Langza
Wake up for the spectacular sunrise and early breakfast before setting off to Langza. Pass through the barren mountains set against bright blue skies with patches of lovely green farmland in summer. Your first stop, at some of the highest inhabited villages in the world, is Langza. Renowned for its unbeatable location, Langza offers some of Spiti’s finest views with unclaimed fossils lying around its outskirts.
Stop for a moment in Hikkim for a cuppa with the postmaster of the highest post office in the world. Don’t forget to post a couple of postcards before you head on to Komic.
Appearing, seemingly out of nowhere, Komic is the Himalaya’s highest village connected by a road. With a little over a dozen households, expect to be greeted with cups of hot tea from the lovely families who live here. Sitting pretty at 4587 metres above mean sea level, Komic offers stunning vistas from its ancient monastery as well.
Spend some time with the locals here and learn more about their folklore and culture as well.
Langza is the place which is famous for giant Buddha statue sitting in the mountains and protecting the valley. This place offers great views of snow covered peaks and offers fossils of marine animals and plants that were found here millions of years ago and this is why many geologists and anthropologists visit the village each year to do research and to dig out more details about the fossils. Overnight stay at Langza.
Day 6 - Langza - Lohsar
Today, we have an apparently short drive from Langza to Lohsar so that you can rest more, as we begin our next day quite early.
Day 7 - Lohsar - Chandratal - Manali
We will leave in the dead of the night at 03:00 am for Chandrataal. Trust us, you will neither regret nor complain once you have seen the magnificence of Chandrataal at Sunrise.
At 4,551 metres, Kunzum Pass is the main access to Spiti Valley from Lahaul. Begin your day early as you start your day-trip to Chandrataal Lake.A little over 3 hours, on some tricky rocky roads, would take you to Kunzum Pass. Drive down from the towering Pass to the surreal Chandrataal Lake. Spend some time by the ‘moon lake’, as its popularly known, and watch it turn different shades of turquoise blue as the morning progresses. Take a walk around the periphery for some fascinating photograph opportunities and memories for a lifetime. Apparently the site where Yudishtra (eldest Pandava from the Mahabharata) was taken to heaven, Chandrataal is surrounded by legends and folklore about its origins. Go around to and from the mesmerising lake, while interacting with the locals who will tell you some fascinating stories about the lake.
Leave for Manali by 9:00 am and reach Manali around 4:00 - 5:00 pm for the trip to end with happy memories!!!
You can catch a Volvo bus for Delhi on the same day evening or can think of chilling in Manali for a day or two and then move to your home. We can assist you for any hotel bookings in Manali and for Volvo transport from Manali at an additional cost.
Destionation - Accommodation Names :
Manali - D'Chalt Manali / Similar (01 Night)
Kaza - Old Monk / Winter White / SImilar (02 Nights)
Dhankar / Lhalung - Eay Ma / Rafsal Home stay / Khabrik / Urgyan / Similar (01 Night)
Langza - Sonam / Anjaan / Phandhey / Similar (01 Night)
Lohsar - Tashi Gatse / Atisha / Similar (01 Night)